Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Spring/Summer 2010 Routine

I'd like to say that I have a pretty minimalist routine. Especially since I generally keep my hair in protective styling. But at the inquiry of a fellow Naturalista, I thought I'd post my current routine.

  • Every week to week and a half, I cowash with Broaer Intensive Conditioner, leaving it on for an hour(or more). Before finding that gem of a conditioner, I use(d) Giovanni Smooth As Silk(as my cowash and leave in).
  • After cowashing, I then twist my hair in sm/meduim-ish twists. Too small of a twist leaves me with stringier twist-outs and too big of a twist leaves me with frizzier twist-outs. I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave In(or Giovanni Direct Leave in, or Smooth As Silk), and Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer. Last year, I mostly used Kemi Oyl Shea Butter Pomade for my twists.
  • I clarify monthly(or as needed) with Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo. It's not harsh, but does a good job of removing potential buildup, and normalizes the pH of your hair. I've been using the same 8 oz bottle for over a year now. :)
  • I leave those twists in or eventually wear a twist out(or pinned up style) for the remainder of that week or so, and repeat the same process again. Sometimes I cowash with the twists in if I don't feel like retwisting and just need some water on my scalp.
  • To keep my twists moisturized, I use the Elasta QP moisturizer on my ends and seal with Natural Oasis Styling Oil. This same oil is used when I blow-dry and/or heat style. Good stuff.
  • To protect my hair and ends, I cover every night in a satin scarf. And sometimes if I'm lounging in the house, I keep it covered. ;)
  • I do a henna treatment every two months or so with a mixture of henna & amla, or with another combo of ayurvedic/natural powdered herbs(e.g. cassia, marshmallow root, etc.)
And that's pretty much it. I think it's pretty simple compared to most.

No comments: