Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Product Review: Kemi-Oyl Conditioning Spray

Photobucket

For the last month or so, I had been on the lookout for a spray that could serve as a twist refresher, should I not want to apply a cream, and a scalp....refresher, for those days when my scalp is feeling tight and dry.

I think this product does a good job for both. My scalp gets pretty dry. Oiling it with oils and/or butters to prevent dryness only makes it worse, so I don't do that, but oftentimes, I have to cowash my hair after a week because my scalp is screaming at me to do so. lol

It has great ingredients, although some are a mystery(I dislike when companies use words like "complex" and don't break down the ingredients COMPOSED in those complexes, but I digress.)

Ingredients: distilled water, seaweed complex, herbal complex, natural oils, herbal extract complex, preservatives, fragrance.

Below find my pros and cons.

Pros:

It's inexpensive and readily available. I can find this at any BSS in my area, likely because it's a local company, and it's always in stock. Only paid $4.99, although the pricing will slightly vary. I feel confident in saying that it won't retail for more than $7 a bottle.

Great on the scalp. It provides me with enough moisture to keep my scalp from getting too dry, but not too much oil where it suffocates my scalp, exasperating flaking.

Leaves hair feeling soft and moist. It provides just enough moisture without making it feel oily, as many oil-based "moisturizers" tend to do when absent of any REAL moisturizers.

Doesn't leave the hair feeling producty. It's a light spray that dries soft to the touch.

Cons:

Ingredient separation. I typically avoid products with separation but made an exception in this case. The separation is caused by the non-use of a solubilizer. This helps to disperse(mix) the oil and water components of this product. I don't believe it has affected it's effectiveness, which is why I will continue to use it. I just shake it up when ready to use.

Dries nice on the hair, but feels sticky on your hands. If you use your hands to make sure the product distributes, be prepared for sticky-feeling hands. I always have to wash them after using the product. A minor inconvenience, though.

For some, the scent may be...different. I like the scent, but those not familiar with Kemi Oyl products may not like it as much. I'm sure you can add essential oils to it, although I wouldn't recommend it since we don't know what kind of preservative was used.

To anyone that may have seen this product while perusing the aisles at your local BSS, I'd say give it a try. It's inexpensive with good ingredients. It's also cheaper than many of the spray moisturizers out there, so you don't have much to lose.

No comments: