Friday, May 7, 2010

Have dry scalp?! Ayurvedic herbs to the rescue!

Photobucket

I’m guessing hormonal changes, or me possibly having dermatitis, have resulted in my scalp mimicking that of the Blizzard of 2010. Okay, I’m just sliiiiightly exaggerating, but if you’ve dealt with dry/flaky scalp, you can understand my frustration.

I’ve used products specific to treating the condition, but the results were temporary (as usual), and sometimes no product can treat the underlying causes of it. Also, many of products were a little harsher than I liked, so they are NOW sitting in my product graveyard. BUT, one thing I’ve found to help keep my scalp looking clean and healthy is the application of ayurvedic herbs to my hair and scalp.

When I started hennaing, I used just henna and amla. I noticed with the very first application that my scalp stayed clearer. After doing some research, I discovered that henna is an anti-fungal, which means it helps to treat fungal infections/infestations. Dandruff is the result of fungal infestation, so my scalp responding to henna positively isn’t too much of a surprise. But it was a surprise to me initially.

My goal now is to get back into doing my henna/powdered herb treatments monthly to keep the flakes at bay. There’s absolutely nothing cute about it, and I don’t want to get into the habit of scratching my scalp, which is a no-no no matter HOW good it feels because you’re causing damage to the scalp. As a result, it will continue to flake up as a defense-mechanism, if that makes sense. So it would literally be the never ending dandruff story. Yeah, that’s no good.

So if you’re interested in trying henna or other Ayurvedic herbs, but you just weren’t sure, this is a great excuse…I mean, reason, to give it a try.

Oh, and if you’re feeling extra daring, you can steep the powders in oil, straining with a cheesecloth(into a bottle/container), and using the resulting infused oil on your scalp. Add Vit E to help preserve the mixture longer or store in the fridge when not in use. Easy peasy and your scalp will love you for it! :)

1 comment:

tiff said...

neat. i gotta try this.thnx