Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Protective style rewind

Outside of your typical twists and braids, bantu knots and wet-sets, you have your coils. These are a GREAT protective style option. Sometimes they're called comb coils. I just call them coils since well, I've never used a comb to produce mine. They were a GREAT alternative for me and actually gave me a glimpse of how my hair could POSSIBLY look loc'd; if I'd let them stay in and just retwisted the roots. That's something I MAY consider many many years from now. ;)

I did these coils in the Fall of 2008.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is what I did to achieve the above look:

  1. On freshly washed and conditioned hair, I sectioned off and applied a light, water-based leave in(PM, The Conditioner).
  2. I created smaller sections, clipping them away until I was ready to twist/coil.
  3. When ready to coil, I took a small piece of hair, applied Fantasia IC (the blue kind for color-treated hair) or Barry Fletcher's Custard Styling Gel(I think that's what it's called), and proceeded to coil. This involved just twisting the piece around one finger over and over again until it created a straw-sized coil.
  4. I continued this process until my entire head was completed and I either let it air-dry or sat under a hooded dryer(lowest setting) for about 20 mins.
  5. After set, I applied a light oil to my ends, and that was it!
  6. To protect at night, I would either use a satin bonnet or scarf.
I normally leave this in for maybe two weeks. The BEST PART about this style is the subsequent WnG, which is almost ALWAYS perfect. :) I never had to detangle( I could just finger-detangle if I felt necessary), but I normally left it as is. But if you want a fuller WnG, you'd likely need to finger detangle a little bit, depending on the size of your coils.

No comments: