I did these coils in the Fall of 2008.
This is what I did to achieve the above look:
- On freshly washed and conditioned hair, I sectioned off and applied a light, water-based leave in(PM, The Conditioner).
- I created smaller sections, clipping them away until I was ready to twist/coil.
- When ready to coil, I took a small piece of hair, applied Fantasia IC (the blue kind for color-treated hair) or Barry Fletcher's Custard Styling Gel(I think that's what it's called), and proceeded to coil. This involved just twisting the piece around one finger over and over again until it created a straw-sized coil.
- I continued this process until my entire head was completed and I either let it air-dry or sat under a hooded dryer(lowest setting) for about 20 mins.
- After set, I applied a light oil to my ends, and that was it!
- To protect at night, I would either use a satin bonnet or scarf.